The German Society for International Cooperation (GIZ) was established on January 1, 2011 on the basis of the German Technical Cooperation Society (GTZ), which operated since 1975. Its head office is located in the German city of Esborn.
The head is Tanya Goenner from July 1, 2012.
GIZ operates in 130 countries in Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Mediterranean and Middle East countries, as well as in Europe, the Caucasus and Central Asia.
It has representative offices in 87 countries.
Information about cooperation between Azerbaijan and the organization
- GIZ has been working on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development since 1995.
- GIZ project coordination office has been operating in Azerbaijan since 2007.
- The country's director is Ms. Karin Hoerhan.
- At present, GIZ is implementing 7 projects in Azerbaijan mainly covering governance and economic development, vocational education, energy and environment.
- Private Sector Development and Vocational Education and Training in the South Caucasus;
- Manager Training Programme;
- Good Governance for Local Development in the South Caucasus;
- Management of natural resources and safeguarding of ecosystem services for sustainable rural development in the South Caucasus (ECOserve);
- Economic and Social Participation of Vulnerable Displaced Persons and Local Population in the South Caucasus (EPIC);
- Consulting Services on Shareholder Management;
- Sustainable Urban Mobility in the South Caucasus (Mobility4Cities).